13th Annual Santa Monica Airport ArtWalk Returns March 23
Saturday, March 23, 2019 12 – 5 p.m., Free Along Airport Ave. between Bundy Dr. and 23rd St., Santa Monica
Free event inspires artistic exploration with open artist studios, workshops, music, food and more. The Airport has a rich history as the former home of the Douglas Aircraft Company and the birthplace of the DC-3 and is now home to over 60 artists and a number of creative venues. The ArtWalk is a fun-filled day of artistic exploration within this creative campus. Attendees are invited to watch art and ceramic demonstrations, participate in art and theater workshops, and enjoy live music and food trucks.
Art, Exhibits & Demonstrations
- Santa Monica Art Studios, one of the airport’s largest hangars, along with artist studios throughout the airport, invite you to meet the artists and discover a variety of mediums and styles including painting, sculpture, ceramics, and mixed media.
- Santa Monica Art Studios’ __ARENA 1 Gallery_features the opening reception for the group exhibit _Tra 2. Mari/Between 2 Seas: _Where SouthernCalifornia meets Southern Italy, _which focuses on how artists from different countries give shape to their heterogeneous creative reality.
- Santa Monica College Ceramic Arts students will demonstrate a range of techniques including wheel throwing, hand formed sculpture, and Raku firing. An exhibit of work will be on display as will the popular sale of student artwork.
- _The Museum of Flyin_g features a collection of the many artifacts related to the Douglas Aircraft Company, a variety of exhibits, aviation art, and an array of aircraft from a Wright Flyer replica to aircraft of the jet age.
Theatre, Music, Workshops, & More
- Highlights of The Ruskin Group Theatre’s popular monthly offering L.A. Café Plays.
- Los Angeles-based artist collective_Subsuelo_ will be spinning family-friendly tunes featuring old-school tropical music and flamenco/hip-hop fusion that will keep you moving throughout the day.
- The all-female mariachi group Las Colibrí, or “The Hummingbirds”, will be performing throughout the airport.
- The unique store Pilot Outfitters features gifts, art, historic items and multiple fun selfie ops.
- Ruby __Gara (16) will demonstrate her watercolor technique, answer questions and lead a watercolor workshop along with her mother Kristen __Gara.
Fun for Kids
- A collaborative sculpture with Santa Monica College Ceramic Arts.
- Theater improvisation workshops at the Ruskin Group Theatre.
- The popular ArtWalk Stamp Hunt, a self-guided exploration of the ArtWalk and airport with a prize for those who complete it.
- Noted aviation artist, author and historian Mike Machat _will tell stories of flight while he simultaneously draws the planes to bring them to life at the _Museum of Flying.
- A Yarn Mandala craft workshop with artists Tanja Rector and John Goetz.
- Spitfire Grill, decorated with WWII military and Douglas Aircraft photography, serves traditional American food.
- Some of the area’s finest food trucks will be serving popular bites, sweets and coffee including Kogi, Richeese, Sizzle & Fiyah, Let’s Be Frank, The Churro Man and Brewtique.
- Bring your own bottle to fill up at the water station throughout the day.
About the Airport
The Santa Monica Airport is the oldest operating airport in LA County. The airport played a key role in the nation’s aviation revolution as the lift-off point of the first round-the-world flights, the workplace of Rosie the Riveter. During World War II and as an innovation incubator for the DC-3 which led to the birth of modern-day air travel. smgov.net/departments/airport